Mosquito season is upon us which means it's time to start taking preventative and protective actions. Here are a few things to remember as we move into mosquito season!
- REMOVE STANDING WATER FROM YOUR PROPERTY: Drain standing water where can mosquitoes breed. Any amount of standing water can give mosquitoes a place to lay their eggs. With the high amount of rain we're experiencing it's important to regularly check your property for any standing water and drain it.
- MAINTAIN YOUR SWIMMING POOL: A poorly maintained swimming pool can become a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Be sure to properly care for your pools.
- WEAR LONG SLEEVES AND PANTS: Spring and summer may be the perfect time for shorts and tank tops, but if you're worried about exposure to mosquitoes you'll want to consider wearing long sleeves and pants to limit the amount of exposed skin you have.
- AVOID GOING OUTSIDE AT DAWN AND DUSK: Mosquitoes are most active during these two times of day and avoiding the outdoors at these times can help limit your exposure.
- USE INSECT REPELLANT: Insect repellants containing ingredients such as deet, picaridin or oil of lemon eucalyptus can all act as insect repellant when applied to exposed skin. Please study all health information before choosing which/if any repellant to use.
If you'd like additional information please head to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website HERE.